Pancake Day is better known as Shrove Tuesday, which is the day that precedes Ash Wednesday. Shrove Tuesday varies from year to year since it’s based off of Easter. It will always fall 47 days before Easter. This year Pancake Day takes place tomorrow, Tuesday February 28th.
The name Shrove Tuesday comes from ‘shrive’, meaning absolution for sins by doing penance. If you’re familiar with the concept of Lent, you know that devout Christians choose something to give up for 40 days and don’t partake in it until Easter. In the US, we refer to this day as “Mardi Gras” or “Fat Tuesday”, since traditionally you do not indulge in fatty foods during Lent.
In the past, families would clear out their cupboards and remove the fattening foods so as not to be tempted during Lent. In those times, eggs, milk and sugar were considered fatty and had to be removed. Rather than waste good food, people would find ways to use them up. Enter – the pancake.
Over the years, pancakes have definitely evolved. As we have become more adventurous and health conscious, our pancake taste buds have fluctuated. In preparation for tomorrow, I’ve pulled together 3 delicious recipes that are sure to fulfill your cravings for a tall stack of flapjacks!
Vegan Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries
- 1 T ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 T water
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 1 T non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
- Make flax egg by whisking together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside while prepping other ingredients.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix together milk and vinegar to make buttermilk. Add in melted coconut oil and flax egg.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Slowly mix for about 30 seconds – don’t over mix!
- Pour batter onto heated and greased skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until edges look done, and flip. Cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh strawberries 🍓
Yields: 6 pancakes
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries
- 2 cups of gluten-free oats or rolled oats
- 1¼ cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- Place the oats, milk, banana, honey, sea salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, and baking powder into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the egg and pulse until incorporated.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and melt a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Once heated, pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto the pan and brown on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Serve the pancakes with chocolate syrup or pure maple syrup and sliced strawberries.
Yields: 6-8 pancakes
Blueberry Kefir Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups lactose-free Kefir
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add the kefir & eggs; whisk everything together until combined. Lumps are fine – do not overbeat.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-low with coconut oil.
- Add blueberries right before pouring the batter in the pan. Ladle ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet. Allow to cook 4-5 minutes.
- Flip pancakes once bubbles rise to the surface and the bottoms are golden brown.
- Cook until both sides are lightly browned.
- Serve warm as is, with syrup or jam, or with fresh fruit!
Adapted from recipe by Green Valley Organics Lactose Free