Morning Glory Oats
- 1 cup water (you could use coconut milk)
- ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ¾ cup diced apples
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 2 T chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup canned crushed pineapple in 100% juice
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- 1 T raisins
- 2 T chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan on the stove heated to medium. Let it come to a boil, then add carrots, raisins, and nuts.
- Once heated through, remove from heat. Pour into serving dish and mix in pineapple. Enjoy!
Autumn Calabrese’s Gluten-Free Waffles
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 T apple pie spice
- ¾ cup egg whites
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Once heated, grease the waffle iron and pour in batter. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve fresh with your favorite toppings. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days (although I doubt they last that long!)
Pumpkin Espresso Overnight Oats
- ½ cup chilled coffee
- ½ cup Greek or coconut yogurt
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flaxseed
- 1 T coconut cream (optional)
- 2 T dried cranberries (optional)
- In a mason jar, mix together coffee, yogurt, pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add in oats, chia, and flaxseed. Cover and chill overnight.
- Serve topped with coconut cream and dried cranberries, if desired.
Blackberry Pie Oatmeal
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 T chopped walnuts (topping)
- Additional blackberries for topping
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine oats, water, and salt. Stir occasionally, until oats are thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in blackberries until just heated through – careful, they will pop!
- Pour carefully into a bowl, add toppings, and enjoy!
Stuffed Acorn Squash Bowl
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 T oil, divided
- 6 oz. turkey sausage
- 2 cups spinach or kale
- ½ cup fresh, frozen, or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a pan with foil.
- Slice the acorn squash in half and remove seeds. Spread a bit of olive oil on each cut side of squash and lay cut side down on the foil-lined pan. Bake for 30 -40 minutes.
- In the final 10 minutes of the squash baking, heat remaining oil in a skillet. Add turkey sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking into smaller pieces.
- Once meat is no longer pink, add in greens and sauté until just wilted.
- If using fresh or frozen cranberries, add these to the skillet for just a few minutes, just to heat the insides.
- Remove acorn squash from oven. To assemble, divide sausage, kale, and cranberries between both halves and enjoy!
Mango Chicken Chipotle Salad
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 2 T oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup crumbled queso fresco, feta, or Monterey jack cheese
- Whisk together marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add sliced chicken and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from fridge and place in a heated skillet with some coconut oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until no longer pink in center.
- To assemble the salad, place lettuce in the bottom of two bowls. Divide the grilled chicken, red onions, black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and mango between the two salad bowls. Top with your cheese of choice and enjoy immediately!
Roasted Acorn Squash & Beet Salad
- 8 oz. mixed salad greens
- ½ acorn squash, roasted
- 1 small beet, boiled, skin removed, and chopped
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T walnuts
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Remove the skin from the acorn squash and slice. Chop beet into bite-size pieces and dice the tomato. Slice the mushrooms.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- To serve, divide salad greens and veggies between two plates. Top with walnuts and vinaigrette dressing; enjoy!
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Mango & Blueberries
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 mango, sliced
- ¼ cup cashews or walnuts
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Rinse your fruit and prep for the salad.
- In a container, mix together the dressing ingredients. Set aside until ready.
- To assemble, divide spinach between two serving bowls. Top with strawberries, avocado, blueberries, mango, and nuts of choice. Drizzle with dressing.
- If desired, add some grilled chicken for a bit of protein!
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into small strips
- 2 T olive oil
- ¼ cup packed coconut sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 1 T lime juice
- 8 oz. rice noodles
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips and strips halved
- 1½ cups matchstick carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 T cilantro (optional)
- Prepare rice noodles according to directions listed on package.
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and lime juice. Set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, heat oil in a wok or large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 4 – 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bell pepper, carrots, and garlic to the skillet and sauté 1 – 2 minutes.
- Push veggies to the side and crack eggs into center. Cook and scramble until eggs have cooked through.
- Add in chicken, noodles and sauce, tossing everything to coat evenly.
- Serve warm topped with peanuts and optional cilantro.
Mediterranean Chicken & Sprouts
- 2 T garlic, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups of Brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- ½ cup of Kalamata olives
- 2 tsp of Pine nuts
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided into 2 equal parts
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the minced garlic, spices and olive oil. Rub each with the garlic-spice mixture.
- Place the spiced chicken in a container and cover with lemon juice. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease two baking dishes.
- Clean the Brussels sprouts thoroughly and chop in half. Place sprouts in one baking dish, along with one tablespoon of oil.
- In the other dish, place the marinated chicken breasts. Place both dishes in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven and mix in olives and tomatoes. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven and top with pine nuts and cheese. Return to the oven another 5 minutes, just the melt the cheese a bit.
- Serve chicken and sprouts with fresh couscous or a salad!
Mom’s Chicken Burritos
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp red pepper
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 whole wheat or flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Wash the chicken breasts, dry, and slice. Mix together taco seasoning and rub all over chicken slices.
- Place chicken in the pan and cover with a lid. Allow to cook 4-5 minutes before flipping. When you flip, pour in ¼ cup water to help with the cooking. This also keeps the chicken from burning. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- To assemble burritos, start with spreading 2 tablespoons of refried beans on one side of the tortilla. Top with chicken and a slice of each cheese. Fold the tortilla over chicken and cheese, tucking sides in so the beans and cheese don’t melt out during baking.
- Place burrito on the greased sheet and repeat process for remaining seven tortillas. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides and toppings!
Chicken, Apple, and Walnut Salad
- 6 oz. shredded chicken
- ¼ cup diced apple
- 2 T avocado mayonnaise or ½ avocado, mashed
- 1 T chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dill seed
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1 cup salad greens
- ½ tomato, diced
- Remainder of apple from salad, sliced
- In a bowl, mix together all chicken salad ingredients.
- Arrange salad greens on a plate and top with chicken salad, sliced apples, and diced tomatoes.
Mom’s Pork Chops & Dirty Rice
- 4 pork chops – boneless or bone-in
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 packed onion soup mix
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a casserole dish
- Place pork chops in casserole dish. Pour in rice, water, and onion soup. Mix together until the soup mix is dissolved.
- Pop into the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and enjoy with your favorite vegetables!