If you know me, I absolutely ADORE Winnie the Pooh. When we were little, my parents gave my brother and I a smaller Christmas tree so that we could decorate it ourselves (probably because I was known for re-arranging the bottom half of the tree as a toddler). We were given various Disney and wooden ornaments that didn’t fit with my mom’s theme, and among those I recall there being Winnie the Pooh ornaments. When I moved, my mom made me some wooden and needlepoint Winnie the Pooh ornaments of my own!
I don’t know how I even got so into Winnie the Pooh. I don’t remember having a lot of books or decor growing up, but that silly ol’ yellow bear always made me smile! My mom and I always “oooo” and “ahhh” whenever we see a cute nursery theme or baby outfit with a Winnie the Pooh print. I’ve already begun to collect items for their future nursery! So naturally, when I saw that today was Winnie the Pooh Day, I wanted to be a part of it! And what better way to celebrate than to choose meals with a little touch of honey?
Spiced Honey Raisin Muffins
¼ cup raisins
2 T hot water
1 3/4 cups unbleached, all purpose or whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and allspice
½ cup almond milk
½ cup honey
¼ cup mashed banana
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 piece muffin tin.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside and allow the raisins to plump a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In another small bowl, combine the milk, honey, banana, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture and raisins to the dry mixture; gently fold with a rubber spatula until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Almond Carrot Cake Shake
¼ cup carrots, chopped
2 T raw almonds
2 T shredded coconut
3 pitted dates
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp almond extract
1 cup almond milk or water
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Honey Mustard Chicken & Quinoa Bowls with Fruit Salsa
2 T olive oil
2 T dijon mustard
2 T honey
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in cubes
1/2 ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 small grapefruit, peeled and diced
1 tsp diced jalapeno
1 T lemon juice
1 T maple syrup
1 tsp minced cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional vegetables (I used broccoli)
1 cup cooked quinoa
Sliced avocado for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together all chicken marinade ingredients. Pour over top chicken and all the marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and sauté in a skillet over medium heat,until chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine all salsa ingredients in a small bowl.
- To prepare the quinoa bowls, split the quinoa between two bowls. Top with vegetables (if using), chicken, and salsa. You can add sliced avocado if desired!